
Have you ever wondered what life would be like if you had certain limitations? Like, if you were only allowed to eat one meal for the rest of your life - what it would be? I've been asked this question before, and I must say, I didn't answer in the way that was hoped.
"And... why exactly is it that I am eating one meal for the rest of my life?"
"I don't know...."
"You don't know??"
"It's just a question!"
"Well I need a reason".
"Okay, the government has banned you from eating anything except for one food of your choice".
"Oh... that's easy".
"Yes?"
"Yes......... I'd leave the country and live somewhere else... like.... Antarctica".
"You're not allowed to leave the country"
"Then I'd starve myself to death. I'd hate to live in a world like that".
That would be when they sigh heavily and walk off. I just don't get questions like that! Like the "You're stranded on an island, what 5 things would you take with you?" one. Like, helloooooo... you're stranded, okay? Stranded. How can you chose what you take with you? What you get is what you get! And even when you do go along with the question... why do people always say stuff like "a hair dryer" and such? Is there electricity on an abandoned island? No. How about saying "A fully-fueled boat complete with a GPS system, sonar and a satellite phone"? Where is a logic in a hairdryer? I mean really.
ANYWAY, I am getting off track. Today I was asked the question of "What 10 websites would you not be able to live without?", and I must say, it got me to thinking. You never realize how many websites you use until you really think about it. Here is my list of 10 websites I couldn't live without (in no particular order):
Wikipedia. I seriously cannot live without Wikipedia... it is very important to me, both academically and personally. It's a great source for research, being an online encyclopedia; a lot of my papers in school were written based on information I found there. Personally though... personally, I use it a lot. Both for learning new things (I love the "random article" button, it's great), as well as proving things. I use it for proving things a lot, especially when I'm talking to my best friend. We share links to Wikipedia quite often, trying to prove ridiculous things to each other, like the difference between noodles and pasta (not that there IS a difference, mind you), and proving whether or not cliffs exist merely over water, or whether they can be on mountains and such. (Yeah.... we're kind of retarded like that. Why do you think we're such great friends? Being nuts is FUN!!) [ http://www.wikipedia.org/ ]
Facebook. Yes, the social networking site. I have previously mentioned this in an earlier post just how much I love this site, but I must mention it again. Facebook is my LIFE, I love it. Or, not really Facebook, I guess.... okay, yes, I love Facebook! The thing I like best of all is that it keeps me in contact with people who I care about, and I can talk to them and play games with them, etc. Sadly, the people who I care about most, never reply to what I write on their Walls (their main page for those of you who don't Facebook!). (Hint-hint to my family and best friend who might be reading this... I actually kind of really LIKE it when you write something on my page, the ignoring thing doesn't go over well (my own MOTHER ignores me, how's THAT for you?)) [ http://www.facebook.com/ ]
Yahoo. Yahoo I love because... well, mainly, it's where my main email address is stationed. It's also where I get my news from (and also from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ ), and where I play around at (never go on Yahoo Answers, it's addicting. Annoying, stupid and pointless, but addicting none the less). And, without Yahoo, I wouldn't have an Instant Messenger, because AIM sucks. [ http://www.yahoo.com/ ]
Google. Google!!!!!!!! I am OBSESSED with Google, I swear, I shall marry the man who invented it. Unless he's dead or something...... I don't know, is he? I'll go Google him and find out. (Nope, they're both still alive, and male... guess who's getting married?!) Google is the best search engine in the world, and I don't care what anyone says. [ http://www.google.com/ ]
Playlist. Playlist is just that, a playlist. You create an account and make a playlist and add music to it. I am on this website every day, literally. I cannot live without music, and I actually listen to my music online more than I do CDs and my mp3 player. I am almost never on a computer without turning the music on, including now. (Right now I am listening to "Almost Lover" by A Fine Frenzy. I love that song so much, it's slow, sad and beautiful, which is my favorite type of music). [ http://www.playlist.com/ ]
Amazon. Amazon is the best place ever to shop online (better than eBay, in my opinion). Especially since you can save a huge amount by clicking "Used & New" and buying stuff brand new from a dealer instead of directly from Amazon. I would buy everything from Amazon if I had the chance! But then again, maybe not........ I'd miss Walmart. (♥) [ http://www.amazon.com/ ]
Urban Dictionary. The Urban Dictionary is an online slang dictionary that explains all types of weird phrases and words that are being used in the current way of the English language nowadays (this goes for both American and British English). It's awesome! I like learning new catch-phrases and "words"... it's great. [ http://www.urbandictionary.com/ ]
Mayo Clinic. Yes, I am actually one of the very few that go on the Mayo Clinic's website constantly. And no, I am not a hypochondriac. I just happen to like discovering new sickness and such. Has anyone here heard of "Pica"? Exactly. Look it up on the Mayo Clinic! (Or Wikipedia... I must admit that that is where I went first. But whatever!, the Mayo Clinic is freaking awesome). [ http://www.mayoclinic.com/ ]
Listverse. Listverse is the most awesome place EVER (aside from Wikipedia.... *sigh*. Oh, and Google. Or Playlist. ANY OF THEM PREVIOUSLY LISTED!!). It's like a blog, but it has lists of things instead (like what I am doing now, I guess!) Most things are written as the "top 10" whatever. I love it though, you learn a lot, and it's great fun to read, quite entertaining indeed. [
Snapfish. Snafish is GOD of the picture developing world! Well, okay, God of the inexpensive picture developing world. You upload your pictures onto the site, and they process them for 9 cents a print and then send them to you. Don't have a digital camera? Send your roll of film in to them, they'll do the same thing. You can design coffee mugs and mouse pads and such on the site too... I can't wait to make Christmas cards on there come December! [ http://www2.snapfish.com/ ]
Well, that's my list! What is your favorite website? Leave a comment below telling me!
No comments:
Post a Comment